At undergraduate level, the Department offers a full time course leading to the Honours degree of the Bachelor of the Science of Engineering; BSc.(Eng.Hons) in the field of Civil and Environmental Engineering. Under this course 75 engineers graduate every year.
The mission of the Civil and Environmental Engineering Degree Program is to prepare its graduates for successful careers in civil and environmental engineering through a broad liberal education, to train them for careers of leadership, especially in Civil and Environmental Engineering, with those knowledge, abilities and skills, and attitudes that would give them mastery over a changing professional world with a clear understanding of the impact of their work on society and environment.
The program is designed to inculcate following Program Outcomes (POs) within a student who graduates from this course.
- Ability to apply knowledge of basic science and engineering fundamentals.
- Ability to communicate effectively, not only with engineers but also with the community at large.
- In-depth technical competence in at least one engineering discipline.
- Ability to undertake problem identification, formulation and solution.
- Ability to utilize a systems approach to design and operational performance.
- Ability to function effectively as an individual and in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural teams, with the capacity to be a leader or manager as well as an effective team member.
- Understanding of the social, cultural, global and environmental responsibilities of the professional engineer, and the need for sustainable development.
- Understanding of the principles of sustainable design and development.
- Understanding of professional and ethical responsibilities and commitment to them.
- Expectation of the need to undertake lifelong learning, and capacity to do so.
The Civil and Environmental Engineering Program of the Department, in consultation with the stakeholders (industrial representatives and alumni), has developed six educational objectives to support the program mission. These represent the graduate attainments after 3-5 years from their graduation. The Program Educational objectives (PEOs) of the this program are to produce graduates who:
- Have the knowledge, skills and tools needed to solve complex civil and environmental engineering problems.
- Are aware of environmental issues associated with air, land and water systems, as well as concerns on sustainability, environmental health and safety issues.
- Are capable of working efficiently with the others in their community, through; effective communication in both oral and in writing; public relationship and leadership skills.
- Have an understanding in the ethical and professional responsibilities of civil and environmental engineers and the impact that their engineering solutions will have on the environment and society.
- Are willing to appreciate the value of a broad-based civil and environmental engineering education, and engage in continuous professional development through lifelong learning, higher education and memberships in professional bodies.
- Are competent in management concerning economics, business, decision making and human resource management.
These educational objectives are promoted and supported by the departmental community of students, faculty and staff characterized by integrity and by respect for individuals, society, the environment, the engineering
Please contact Dr. G.S.Y.De Silva – Head of the Department for further the details.
Telephone: +94-91-2245765 (Direct),+94-912245765~67 Ext. - 2000
Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering,
Faculty of Engineering, University of Ruhuna,