The Civil Engineers of the 21st century are presented with the challenges of creating sustainable built environment be it the design of a single storey house, a large scale dam, skyscraper or a long spanning bridge. The department being the only Civil and Environmental Engineering Department of the country, takes the responsibility of preparing future Civil Engineers who are equipped with the theoretical knowledge and the know-hows to face challenges and create the environment that we live in.
To produce highly-skilled, dedicated and knowledgeable civil and environmental engineers who will excel in their chosen careers
To become an outstanding, well-recognized academic center of excellence in Civil and Environmental Engineering in the country.
Program Outcomes (POs)
The program is designed to inculcate following POs within a student who graduates from this course.
- Engineering Knowledge: Apply knowledge of mathematics, science, engineering fundamentals and an engineering specialization to the solution of complex engineering problems
- Problem Analysis: Identify, formulate, research literature and analyse complex engineering problems reaching substantiated conclusions using first principles of mathematics, natural sciences and engineering sciences.
- Design/ development of solutions: Design solutions for complex engineering problems and design systems, components or processes that meet specified needs with appropriate consideration for public health and safety, cultural, societal, and environmental considerations.
- Investigation: Conduct investigations of complex problems using research-based knowledge and research methods including design of experiments, analysis and interpretation of data, and synthesis of information to provide valid conclusions.
- Modern Tool Usage: Create, select and apply appropriate techniques, resources, and modern engineering and IT tools, including prediction and modelling, to complex engineering activities, with an understanding of the limitations.
- The Engineer and Society: Apply reasoning informed by contextual knowledge to assess societal, health, safety, legal and cultural issues and the consequent responsibilities relevant to professional engineering practice.
- Environment and Sustainability: Understand the impact of professional engineering solutions in societal and environmental contexts and demonstrate knowledge of and need for sustainable development.
- Ethics: Apply ethical principles and commit to professional ethics and responsibilities and norms of engineering practice.
- Individual and Team work: Function effectively as an individual, and as a member or leader in diverse teams and in multi-disciplinary settings.
- Communication: Communicate effectively on complex engineering activities with the engineering community and with society at large, such as being able to comprehend and write effective reports and design documentation, make effective presentations, and give and receive clear instructions.
- Project Management and Finance: Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of engineering and management principles and apply these to one’s own work, as a member and leader in a team, tomanage projects and in multidisciplinary environments
- Lifelong learning: Recognize the need for, and have the preparation and ability to engage in independent and lifelong learning in the broadcast context of technological change.
Program Educational objectives (PEOs)
The PEOs of the program are to produce graduates who:
- Have the knowledge, skills and tools needed to solve complex civil and environmental engineering problems.
- Are aware of environmental issues associated with air, land and water systems, as well as concerns on sustainability, environmental health and safety issues.
- Are capable of working efficiently with the others in their community, through; effective communication in both oral and in writing; public relationship and leadership skills.
- Have an understanding in the ethical and professional responsibilities of civil and environmental engineers and the impact that their engineering solutions will have on the environment and society.
- Are willing to appreciate the value of a broad-based civil and environmental engineering education, and engage in continuous professional development through lifelong learning, higher education and memberships in professional bodies.
- Are competent in management concerning economics, business, decision making and human resource management.